Sunday, November 11, 2007

Portrait of a Companion

I remember the chilly morning in the town of Berthoud looking at her, waiting while they came to take her away. I stood by her side while she lay there quietly, devoid of all signs of life. Later, friends would tell me stories of similar situations……frustration, anger and some had tried just walking away. Her demise brought that hidden pang of sadness out from under the weight of life, which lately had begun to resemble nothing but a bunch of billing cycles waiting for a weekend escape from reality. Only in the moments of sadness, we are suddenly reminded of the only un-shattered truth of life – mortality. Her heartbeat had suddenly become very erratic. I tried but it was too late to help and I said my good bye.

We had met each other a few years back and had grown really close. I still remember the evening we met for the first time. She was an Asian and just like every Asian, it was hard to tell her age…at least for me. A light milk chocolate complexion with slim and trim features. A pointed nose and those small eyes, which she blinked coquettishly on occasions. She had a light make-up on with not so faint aroma reminiscent of a recent visit to the spa. Adorned in a late model footwear, she was dressed up for the occasion. And from the inside, she exuded warmth and a faint glow of satisfaction. It was a brief conversation but I knew all I wanted to…..her close friends had begun to move away to other important things in their lives and she was beginning to be more and more and lonely. Someone did mutter something about her age but I didn’t care…..I was charmed. I was to be a man in her life and she was to be my companion.

I treated her like one of the guys and she wanted to be treated like a lady. A few loud screams and I began to let go off my roughness. On our first date itself, I found that she had an affinity for public radio. Every time we got together, it was always war, presidential follies and news from around the world. I did try once changing the dials but she wouldn’t have it any other way. I found them reverted back to NPR the next time. The topic really close to her heart though was the environment. Some members of her extended family had been quite active in the environmental campaigns for a long time and a young cousin of hers had become a very well known name among the environmentalists. She was just content that she has done her part in the bigger scheme of things. Though I was careful not to exert her too much but once, we went up Mount Evans and she accompanied us. The ascent was difficult and we went up really slowly. There was a time we thought we should turn around with her. She huffed and puffed but made up to the top. I still have picture of her proudly standing atop the peak.

My grandfather used to say that warnings will start arriving long before a “Yamdoot” is dispatched for you. She was no different. She had begun to show her warning lights too. A cough here or there, difficulty waking up in the mornings, old arteries and a heart which was beginning to slow down. The visits to care facilities were increasing but there was no medicine for age. Aware of the impending end, a will was drawn to donate her estate. Even in her end, she wanted to leave on a positive note. I can only wish that it would be the same for me, when I enter the winter of my life. All the troubles squeezed into the last few months and a departure wrapped in the satisfaction of a fulfilling life…right until the last moment.

I lost my dear companion, my 1991 Toyota Camry last week. She lived a wonderful life for sixteen human years. The children’s charity who took her body said she can still put smiles on the faces of a few children. She is survived by her bereaved chauffeur, who is currently inconsolable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh ma days!! i actually read all of this lol ... i wanted to see why u were so 'emotional.' I never saw that twsit coming!!! UR CAR!! hahaha best thing i read in a while (okay only thing i read apart from school books)